- What is the iLab?
- Our iLab is a place for in-depth discussion and reflection. The iLab stands for innovation, inspiration, information, ideas, interaction and more, To underpin the thematic variety, our iLab is used for temporary exhibitions, lectures, workshops, and even installations and experiments that provide a meaningful contribution to the high quality of Austria’s diversity. Here, research institutes, institutions, universities, and other organisations are offered an additional platform for presenting their ideas, innovations and solutions
- Who can apply?
- Between May 2019 and July 2019, Austrian companies, start-ups, individuals, universities, research institutions, and other organisations can submit future-oriented initiatives that demonstrate positive changes and new market opportunities. We are also looking for interdisciplinary and transnational projects with a focal point in Austria. Applicants may submit multiple projects.
- How are the projects selected?
- What kind of projects are eligible?
- Projects based on future-oriented solutions or creative products or services that are market-ready or at least available as prototypes are eligible for submission.
- Incorporating the use of digital applications such as artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, or the Internet of Things is a plus.
- Submissions can be assigned to one of the three focus areas of the EXPO – opportunity, mobility, and sustainability.
- What will the jury judge?
- The degree of novelty and innovation, creativity of the idea, efficacy for the future
- Market potential or readiness for implementation
- Creative implementation, usability, and benefits for users
- Economic effects (creation of new jobs, growth, prosperity), impact on Austria’s image as a business location, benefits for society and the environment
- How do you benefit?
- You can use the World Expo in Dubai as a showcase to present your project to a wide-ranging audience of millions.
- The winning entries will be presented at an official ceremony in the first months of 2020. At this ceremony, all selected projects will be presented for the first time at a joint event of the Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs and the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber. A certificate will be awarded by Commissioner Beatrix Karl. During this event, the selected businesses will also have the opportunity to network.
- The chosen projects will also be promoted on the pavilion website, through social media, and in other media activities.
- Participation is free of charge.
- Will the selected projects be physically exhibited?
- Due to the limited space at the iLab, the selected product solutions will primarily be presented visually and in text form as part of an exhibition. Smaller products can be displayed presented in an interactive way. The products on display will alternate periodically so that a wide range of proposed solutions can be presented at the iLab.
The presence of a representative of companies showing their solutions is not necessary.
- How do you apply?
- Entry submission is possible until 18 September 2019. The application has to be submitted using the online form.
- When will you know if your proposed solution has been selected?
- All winning projects will be officially announced in December 2019. All participants who submitted an entry will be notified as to whether they have been selected.
- Dates and deadlines
- until 18 September 2019: Application phase
- December 2019: Selection of projects and information to participants
- January / February 2020: Official ceremony with the selected participants and Commissioner Karl
- 20 October 2020 – 10 April 2021, EXPO 2020: Selected projects will be displayed as temporary exhibitions
- What are the legal requirements for participation in the competition?
By submitting an entry, the participant confirms that he/she is the owner of all rights, in particular all copyrights, rights of use, and ancillary copyrights, to the submitted application data. If the participant is not the author of the application data, he/she warrants ownership of the sole and unrestricted right of use. He/she confirms the ownership of unrestricted exploitation rights, that the submitted application data is free of third-party rights, and that any depiction of persons does not violate personal rights.
Should your entry be selected, you agree that you and your company or institution as well as your product will be mentioned and presented to the public.
The jury’s decision is final. We reserve the right to make changes without prior notice.The data protection guidelines of WKO apply.