Our trade association represents the interests of the Austrian advertising and marketing communication industry which is one of the fastest growing industries in the service sector in Austria. Our members consist of advertising, multimedia and PR agencies, direct marketers, sponsoring and event agencies, market researchers etc. We are operating at national and international level.
- Facts and Figures
- Robinson List / E-Mail / Cold Calling/ Faxes
- Education and Advanced Training
- International Network
1. Facts and Figures
The association consists of the following bodies:
- Board of elected members of the Advertising Association
- Chairman of the association: Michael Mrazek
- Managing Director of the association office: Mag. Markus Deutsch und Team
The association’s headquarters is situated in Vienna, Austria. Additionally, the regional associations have nine local offices all over Austria in order to provide services in close proximity to members.
With almost 34,181 members our association is the second largest trade association within the Information and Consulting Division of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber.
Over the last 15 years, the total number of members has quadrupled. Hence, the advertising and marketing communication industry is among the fastest growing branches of the Austrian economy.
Over 65 percent of our members are one-man businesses without employees. Nonetheless, the industry accounts for approximately 30,962 employed persons.
Our main tasks and activities include:
- Forming suitable economical and statutory conditions for the advertising industry
- Information and advisory service to members (including labour law, vocational training, industry-specific legislation and taxation)
- Economic Promotion and Development as well as Training and Consulting are mainly organised by a specialised department in each region (WIFI Wirtschaftsförderungsinstitut)
- Compiling the Robinson List
We are hard working for:
- the abolition of Austrian Advertising Tax (advertising agencies have to pay 5 % for domestic advertising services)
- a fair system in public tendering
- "Responsible Advertising“ (high ethical standards in advertisements)
Austrian Advertising Association
3. Robinson List / E-Mails / Cold Calling / Faxes
The so-called Robinson List contains name and address of Austrian people and companies who intend to avoid personally addressed mail. It is operated by the Austrian Advertising Association of the Austrian Federal Economic Chamber.
- The list is being updated at the beginning of every month.
- Only Austrian address publishers and direct marketing distributors get
free access to the Robinson list (access is not allowed to the general public). It is a legal requirement to use the Robinson List.
- To get registered, follow the link.
Sending electronic mail including SMS to any recipients without their consent is prohibited if done for direct marketing purposes or directed at more than 50 recipients.
No prior consent is required if:
- the recipient’s details were collected in the context of a sale
- the products/services being marketed are similar to those bought by
the consumer in this sale
- the consumer clearly and distinctly has been given the opportunity to object, free of charge and in an easy manner, to such use of electronic contact details when they are collected and on the occasion of each message
- the recipients did not forbid the sending of electronic mails in general before (esp. put down on the legally binding email preference service according to § 107 of E-Commerce Act, see below) Sending electronic mail for direct marketing purposes is never permitted if the identity of the sender is concealed or no authentic address is provided to which the recipient could send a request not to receive such communications in the future. In addition to the two opting-out lists available in Austria (see below), there are several other suppression files: bad payers, undeliverables, movers, deceased, and nixie/mail-refusers. For more information, please contact www.az-direct.at or www.schober.co.at.
E-mail Preference Service (legal requirement) operated by Telecom regulator: Rundfunk und Telekom Regulierungs – GmbH
- according to § 107 of the Austrian E-Commerce Act (since January 1st, 2002) based on E-Commerce Directive (2000/31/EC)
- according to the E-Commerce Act, only service providers (broad definition) are obliged to comply with the list
- to access the email preference service list, please visit www.rtr.at/ecg
- for more information, please visit http://www.rtr.at/ According to Sect. 107 of the Telecommunication Act, Austrian Federal Law Gazette No. 70/2003 as amended by BGBl. I Nr. 133/2005)
Cold Calling /Faxes
Cold calling for commercial purposes is not allowed without the prior consent of the subscriber in Austria. According to Sect. 107 of the Telecommunication Act, Austrian Federal Law Gazette No. 70/2003 as amended (Telekommunikationsgesetz 2003 - TKG 2003, BGBl. I Nr. 70/2003 as amended by BGBl. I Nr. 133/2005) unsolicited fax communication for commercial purposes is not allowed without the prior consent of the subscriber in Austria.
Rundfunk und Telekom Regulierungs - GmbH
4. Education and Advanced Training
A high level in education is the key for the future. Therefore we support education for young people who are interested in the advertising and marketing communication industry as well as we offer advanced training for current staff. We have played a major role in founding the EFFCE (European Foundation for commercial education).
The foundation endeavors to promote excellence in commercial communications education and research and to further exchanges between the European commercial communications sector and academic partners. In addition, we are in permanent contact with universities, colleges and specialised departments (WIFI-Akademien).
5. International Network
Being part of a global network is essential - especially in these days. We are an active member of AIG (Advertising Information Group) and EASA (European Advertising Standards Alliance).